Implants are titanium screws which are placed in the jaw, in order to support a fake tooth/teeth.
The benefits of implants are:
• We preserve natural tooth tissue by not involving other teeth (unlike with bridges).
• It is a fixed restoration that does not move around (unlike a denture).
What does it involve?
1. A consultation is undertaken, where we take moulds of your teeth and any relevant x-rays together with a CT scan if necessary.
2. A small surgical procedure is undertaken where we fix the implant directly into the bone of the jaw.
3. We allow this to heal for 2-3 months.
4. An impression (mould of the teeth/implant) is taken and sent to the specialised laboratory technician.
5.They make a crown which is then screwed onto the implant head.
What can delay my treatment?
Sometimes if we do not have enough bone for the implant, it may be necessary to undergo another small surgical procedure for some bone grafting. We may not therefore be able to place the implant at the same time as the bone grafting.
This could be your own bone, from another site or synthetic bone.
These options will be discussed with you at length during the consultation appointment.
At K Dental Studios, implant treatments are done by Deborah Bomfim. Click here to find out more about her.
Click here to make an appointment for an implant consultation tailored to you or call 02076378484 for further assistance and advice.